Curated evidence-based Plastic Surgery, direct to your inbox. It's hard to keep up-to-date. thePlasticsPaper sends you 1 email per week - just the highlights!
1. ✍️ Letter from P'Fella - Study Habits of +11,000 Plastic Surgeons.
2. 🤓 Study on Sunday - Lower Eyelid Anatomy (mnemonic + drawing)
2. 🧐 Weekly Quiz Competition - Round 7!
4. 🎭 Upcoming Events - 18 webinars, events and conferences
5. 🐣 Tweets of the Week - #reduction, Glaucomflecken, X-rays!
6. 🚀 New features - thePlasticsDiary (become a tester)
7. 📝 Articles of the Week - 3 essential reads, 1 deep-dive on keloids!
A Letter from P'Fella
A prospective analysis of your study behaviour
Interested in how you learn online?
P'Fella analysed +11,000 people using the educational platform over 30 days. This is raw data from March 2022. It may only interest a few, but it helps understand our behaviour.
Here are four key points:
- A diverse group of people! These are the top 5 countries. Many assume a connection between P'Fella and the UK, but this data says otherwise. Interesting to note that India increased 100% compared to March 2021; Canadians spend the most time studying.
2. Mobile is the boss! There is no surprise that mobile is the most standard method to review topics during this month. Some other facts: laptops study 63 secs more than mobile, mobile increased 300% in 12 months.
3. How do you get to the platform? P'Fella's SEO is pretty strong. That's why Google is the number 1 source of traffic during this month. If learners come directly to the website, they spend 2.5x longer studying. That's the benefit of a goal-directed study session rather than browsing.
4. You have a long attention span! The average time on a typical website is ~50 seconds. The average time studying the top 10 articles ranges from ~5-50 minutes during March 2022. You are geeks!
I hope you've found this data insightful. It's the raw data collected over one month thanks to the privacy-first & non-tracking @PlausibleHQ.
Study on Sunday
The eyelid is a bilamellar structure. Its anatomy is the “Rule of 2’s”
- 2 Eyelids Upper and Lower
- 2 Lamellae: Anterior and Posterior
- 2 structures in anterior lamellae: Skin + Muscle
- 2 structures in posterior lamellae: Tarsus + Conjunctiva.
Weekly Quiz Competition
18 Webinars, Conferences, and Courses
- iBreastBook - What's new in mastectomy? - Virtual, April 23rd.
- BSSH Median and Ulnar Nerve - Virtual, April 30th.
- IFSSH Combined Conference - London, April 2022.
- AAPS Centennial Meeting - San Diego, April 2022.
- BAPRAS AEC Trunk Reconstruction - April 2022.
- BAAPS Masterclass in Aesthetic Practice - London, May 2022.
- RACS 90th Annual Scientific Conference - Brisbane, May 2022.
- British Burns Association Annual Meeting - Bristol, May 2022.
- Australian ASPS Congress - Goldcoast, June 2022
- Aesthetics In-Service Exam - Virtual, June 2022.
- ISAPS World Congress - Istanbul, July 2022
- ICCPCA Cleft Congress - Edinburgh, July 2022
- ASSH Annual Meeting - Boston, September 2022.
- BAAPS Annual Conference 2022 - London, September 2022.
- European Society of Craniofacial Surgery - Oxford, September 2022.
- BAPRAS Celtic Meeting - Dunblane, Scotland September 2022
- Plastic Surgery, The Meeting - Boston, October 2022.
- AEC Limb Reconstruction - Virtual, October 2022
Tweets of the Week
I'm really excited about this.
A weekly organiser, surgical diary & study planner designed for plastics. the idea is to organise your week, create study schedules, and write surgical op notes on certain cases.
6 sections (so far) on common duties in plastic surgery: Monthly Calendar · Weekly Planner · Surgical Log · On-Call Records · Revision Coach · Personal Goals
If you have any suggestions, just write away! If P'Fella uses them you have the diary for free :)
Articles of the Week
- A 15-Year Review of Clinical Practice Patterns in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Based on Continuous Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Sasson et al. PRS Journal April 11, 2022
- The “Home Effect”: The Impact of Virtual Interviews on the 2021 Integrated Plastic Surgery Residency Match, Reategui et al. PRS Journal March 22, 2022
- Skin Preservation in the Debridement of Necrotizing Fasciitis: A Demonstrative Case Report, AlMarshad et al. PRS Global Open: April 2022
This week: What is the best practice for radiotherapy for keloid scars?