Curated evidence-based Plastic Surgery, direct to your inbox. It's hard to keep up-to-date. thePlasticsPaper sends you 1 email per week - just the highlights!
1. ✍️ Letter from P'Fella - the Plastic Surgery Match! 🎉
2. 🤓 Study on Sunday - 5 features to determine burn depth.
2. 🧐 Weekly Quiz Competition - Round 3 (tie leaders!!)
4. 🎭 Upcoming Events - New webinars and courses
5. 🐣 Tweets of the Week - Memes, clinical teaching!
6. 🚀 New features - P'Fella now helps the climate!
7. 📝 Articles of the Week - Rapid review and deep dive!
A Letter from P'Fella
Congratulations to all the new plastic surgery residents!
It was match week this week! Every year, social media get flood with images of people smiling and crying after their successful application. Balloons, champagne and lots of family hugging.
Here's a data from the recent 2022 NRMP publication.
So what makes people successful in their application?
Here is a breakdown of the 2020 applicants. A few things might have change (for example, pass/fail in USMLE) but it does provide a nice overview. It looks like research experience, PhD and other degrees are less important.
Study on Sunday
A burn can be classified as superficial, partial thickness, or full-thickness. Here is a brekaodwn of the key differences.
Weekly Quiz Competition
18 Webinars, Conferences, and Courses
- Pulvertaft - “Children’s fractures of the hand and wrist“ -Virtual, March 21st.
- ASSH - Upper Limb Micro Recon - Virtual, March 26th.
- IFSSH Combined Conference - London, April 2022.
- AAPS Centennial Meeting - San Diego, April 2022.
- BAPRAS AEC Trunk Reconstruction - April 2022.
- BAAPS Masterclass in Aesthetic Practice - London, May 2022.
- RACS 90th Annual Scientific Conference - Brisbane, May 2022.
- British Burns Association Annual Meeting - Bristol, May 2022.
- Australian ASPS Congress - Goldcoast, June 2022
- Aesthetics In-Service Exam - Virtual, June 2022.
- ISAPS World Congress - Istanbul, July 2022
- ICCPCA Cleft Congress - Edinburgh, July 2022
- ASSH Annual Meeting - Boston, September 2022.
- BAAPS Annual Conference 2022 - London, September 2022.
- European Society of Craniofacial Surgery - Oxford, September 2022.
- BARPAS Celtic Meeting - Dunblane, Scotland September 2022
- Plastic Surgery, The Meeting - Boston, October 2022.
- AEC Limb Reconstruction - Virtual, October 2022
Tweets of the Week
Plastic Surgery 🤝 Climate
P'Fella contributes 1% of all revenue to carbon removal.
thePlasticsFella has partnered with Stripe. Removing CO₂ from the atmosphere is critical to counteract climate change, but it’s behind. Every purchase from The Plastics Fella helps new carbon removal technologies scale.
Articles of the Week
Do we need CT angios before DIEPs?
CT angiography prior to DIEP flap breast reconstruction: a randomized controlled trial, JPRAS
- Aim: To perform a high quality study to see if its actually needed or not.
- Methods: Prospective randomisation of CT angio vs no CT angio.
- Results: 37 patients, shorter operative time for CT angio group but no difference in complication rates.
- Conclusions: CT angio decreases operative time but doesn't affect postoperative outcomes.
I like this study. It's well-designed and it answers a question that is being asked more and more often. When the CT angio came into play for DIEP reconstructions, the traditional surgeons kept to their ways but the new surgeons all adopted this investigation.
It's good to see it doesn't affect outcomes. It does make the operation a bit quicker (which is always a benefit in a long operation!!)
The Original Publication - Anatomical ariations of the Median Nerve In Carpal Tunnel (Lanz)