Curated evidence-based Plastic Surgery, direct to your inbox. It's hard to keep up-to-date. thePlasticsPaper sends you 1 email per week - just the highlights!
In this week's edition
- ✍️ Letter from P'Fella
How P'Fella will teach you in 2023 using AI.
- 🤓 Study on Sunday
Your study patterns over the last 12 months.
- 🎭 Upcoming Events
What are the big events in 2023?
- 🐣 Tweets of the Year
The top 8 tweets shortlisted
- 🚀 New Features
The most popular new educational tools.
- 📝 Articles of the Year
P'Fella's article of the year and a top 10 shortlist!
Fun Fact: thePlasticsFella community collectively studied for 206,000 minutes in 2022.
from P'Fella: How thePlasticsFella will use AI to teach you in 2023.
One AI project that garnered significant attention in the healthcare industry is Google DeepMind, which uses machine learning algorithms to analyze and interpret medical images, predict patient outcomes, and even assist with diagnosis and treatment planning.
Here are some examples of images created by myself with some AI prompts.
Here is an example of a Google Deepmind project answering USMLE questions. You can read the full article here on this new project.
So, while the end of traditional teaching may seem daunting at first, it is ultimately an exciting opportunity for us to adapt and evolve as practitioners in a rapidly changing field. Let's embrace the power of AI and use it to our advantage as we continue on our journey as plastic surgery trainees and residents.
p.s I'll be testing out AI to tailor study plans and create clinical cases in the near future.
Study on Sunday
P'Fella studied your behaviour!
- BAPRAS: Essential Skills for Juniors - 19th Jan.
- ASRM Microsurgery Annual Meeting - Florida, 24th Jan.
- ASPS Virtual Spring Meeting - 3rd March.
- Dallas Rhinoplasty Meeting - 9th March
- Pulvertaft Hand Fracture Fixation - Derby, 22nd March.
- Rhinoplasty Society Annual Meeting - Florida, 19th April
- BAPRAS: Advances in Hand Surgery - 27th April.
- AAPS 10th Annual Meeting - Chicago, 29th April.
- Kings College - Facial Aesthetic Dissection- 4th May.
- ICOPLAST 2nd World Congress, Dubai - 5th May
- FESSH Annual Meeting - Rimini, 10th May
- ASSH Annual Meeting - Toronto, 5th October
- Plastic Surgery - The Meeting: Texas, 26th Oct
- BAPRAS Congress - 29th Nov
of the year! A shortlist!
Most popular tools launched in 2022! 🔥
Most popular new features
- +200 new evidence-based topics.
- +2000 new verified plastic surgery flashcards
- Journal club with Powerpoint slides
- Summary cards at the beginning of each article
- A library that allows you to browse by "chapters."
- Live video for interview practice
- Progress bars as you scroll down an article
- Bookmarks to save your favourite articles
- "Student Support" for discounts to thePlasticsPro
- Carbon Removal contribution for every member.
- "Ask the Expert" every Sunday
Articles of the Year
P'Fella's shortlist! 📚
Article of the Year
This is P'Fella's personal opinion.
I recently discovered this interesting article by JPRAS about zone 1 flexor tendon techniques. It was published in 2013, but I only stumbled upon it this year. It's become one of my favourites and has impacted my clinical practice.
Top 10 Shortlist
- Bi-ALCL Guidelines
UK Guidelines on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) Turton et al. Volume 74, Issue 1, P13-29, January 2021
- The First GLOBAL Plastic Trainee Survey
Lindqvist et al. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery - Global Open: October 2022 - Volume 10 - Issue 10 - p e4520
- The non-operative treatment of mallet finger
Lin JS et al. Nonsurgical Management of Mallet Finger: A Systematic Review. J Hand Surg Am. 2018 Feb;43(2):146-163.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.jhsa.2017.10.004.
- Finger Replants don't need a vein
Crowe et al Management of Artery-Only Digit Replantation: A Systematic Review of the Literature, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: July 2022 - Volume 150 - Issue 1 - p 105-116
- Creating International Microsurgery Club Series
Sung et al. Knowledge Revolution during COVID-19 Pandemic: International Microsurgery Club Webinar Series. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: August 2022 - Volume 150.
- Sustainability in Theatre
Belliveau S, Gold MS. The Surgical Suite—A Field Laboratory for Sustainability. JAMA Surg. Published online August 17, 2022. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2022.2346
- How to ACTUALLY use the p-value
Stunt et al. Statistics in publishing: the (mis)use of the p-value (Part 2). Journal of Hand Surgery (European Volume). August 2022.
- A review of the plastic surgery interview
Phillips et al The Plastic Surgery Residency Interview Revisited: Virtual Interviews and Beyond. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: November 2020
- How to Run a Meeting, Colwell et al. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: June 2022 - Volume 149 - Issue 6 - p 1283-1285
- Outcome measurement in adult flexor tendon injury: A systematic review. Shaw et al. JPRAS, Sept 2021. doi.org/10.1016/j.bjps.2021.08.033
The Most Popular in 2022
Menick's original publication was the most-viewed journal club in 2022! It's not a surprise, really, as it's a commonly examined topic that genuinely impacts clinical practice and decision-making.